The Canine Health Information Center, or CHIC, is a centralized canine health database. CHIC, working with participating parent clubs, provides a resource for breeders and owners of purebred dogs to research and maintain information on the health issues prevalent in specific breeds by establishing a recommended protocol for breed specific health screening and recognizing dogs tested in accordance with that protocol.
Read Health Testing Step by Step for instructions on testing a dog for breeding potential and registering the results with CHIC.
New requirements for breeders seeking to be listed on the KCUSA website as of October 2013. READ HERE.
By December 31, 2014, KCUSA will be switching to listing by dog rather than listing by kennel. CHIC requirements for all breeders and breeding stock will go into effect (see “New Requirements” above). For a dog to be listed, it must be registered with the Canine Health Information Center and must have a CHIC number.
Breeders on this list:
- Renew yearly.
- Are KCUSA members.
- Agree to abide by KCUSA’s Code of Ethics, specifically items 6–9.
KCUSA Code of Ethics, Items 6–9
- 6. If I breed, I will strive to improve the Kooiker breed according to the Kooikerhondje Breed Standard. I will conscientiously plan each breeding, choosing only parents of appropriate temperament, appearance and other desirable qualities.
7. I will become aware of genetic defects that can be harmful to the breed. When breeding, I will endeavor to select animals that will reduce the incidence of genetic problems while enhancing the positive attributes and abilities of the breed. I will be open with all persons interested in the welfare of the Kooiker and will discuss possible physical or temperament defects in my own stock.
8. I will act responsibly in regards to all puppies produced by my breeding for the lifetime of the puppies.
9. I will never knowingly sell to, or place a Kooiker with unethical persons or those who would not provide proper and humane care to the dog. I will refuse to sell any Kooiker to any pet shop or to any wholesale dealer in dogs.